[EURO-Discuss] Towards EURALO: A Proposed Roadmap

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at isoc.lu
Fri Jan 12 13:59:57 EST 2007

Wolfgang Kleinwächter said the following  on 11/01/07 15:20:
> Thirs: with regard to the European vacancy in the ALAC, I propose to look towards Eastern Europe, preferably a non-EU member. This would give the European group in the ALAC more representativeness and legitimacy and would be also a signal to the "forgotten countries".
Dear Wolfgang,

It seems I am the only one to date standing to fill the vacancy.  This
is somewhat unfortunate, because it does not give ALAC a choice. If you
know any potential candidate from these "forgotten" countries, please
tell them they should contact the ALAC committee. If they do not stand,
they have no chance of being selected.

Our current membership is mostly in Western Europe. I agree that
representation from Central and Eastern Europe should be enhanced in
Euralo, perhaps with more ALSes from these countries. This is something
Euralo should work on. However, it is a long-ranging goal. I am not
convinced we can solve that before the launch of Euralo, even less
before the 16 January deadline. We need realistic goals to prevent being
frustrated in the end.

Best regards,

Patrick