[EURO-Discuss] Towards EURALO: A Proposed Roadmap

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Thu Jan 11 07:17:36 EST 2007

Nick
In order to move forward on document creation, you might want to use
the consensus wiki tool that Brandon Saunders helped the ALAC use for
their self-review. It's very helpful to clarify differences and thrash
them out as the group moves towards consensus. The remaining items can
be thrashed out at the f2f.
Jacqueline

On 1/11/07, Nick Ashton-Hart <nashton at spamcop.net> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I hope you have had a great Festive break and New Years celebrations.
>
> As so many regions are accelerating their work towards forming RALOs, an
> effort which has sped up in many regions following the launch of LACRALO in
> Sao Paulo, I thought I would make a few comments about how we could move
> forward in Europe.
>
> Firstly, On the incorporation of a legal entity for EURALO:
>
> As you all know, it has proven somewhat contentious to agree the country of
> incorporation. During the public forum in Sao Paulo, Paul Twomey, ICANN CEO,
> may have made this issue slightly easier to resolve by the following
> statement:
>
> ...I WOULD JUST MAKE ONE OTHER OBSERVATION ON THE ONE LANGUAGE ISSUE.
> IT IS VERY IMPORTANT -- AND I THINK THIS IS TRUE IN MANY INTERNATIONAL
> ENTITIES.
> IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT WE MAINTAIN A SINGLE LANGUAGE FOR BUSINESS.
> THAT SORT OF FOR THE ACTUAL DOING OF BUSINESS AND FOR THE CONDUCTING OF
> LEGAL AFFAIRS, IT IS ACTUALLY VERY IMPORTANT THAT WE DO THAT IN ONE
> LANGUAGE.
> THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE CAN'T TRANSLATE DOCUMENTS.
> BUT THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE -- THE OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS SHOULD BE IN THAT ONE
> LANGUAGE...
>
> This is excerpted from the scribe of the session on Thursday - you can see
> the whole notes of the session at:
> http://sp.icann.org/transcript/7dec06/public-forum
>
> It had already been the subject of consensus that the country of
> incorporation would be determined by:
>
> 1) legal documents could be filed in English
> 2) The cost of incorporation is low
> 3) The cost of operating the company is low
>
> There are only two countries we had explored incorporating in which allow
> ALL legal documents to be filed in English: The United Kingdom, and
> Switzerland.
>
> As a result, these are the two countries we must choose between.
>
> Secondly, on completing work on the Bylaws:
>
> There are still open points on the Bylaws as you know. Some of these can
> likely be resolved via online debate and discussion, but some of them may
> require a face-to-face discussion.
>
> Thirdly, the ALS community needs to agree on the contents of a Memorandum of
> Understanding
>
> As previously stated, I will produce a draft text incorporating the ideas
> from Africa, Latin America/Caribbean Islands, and Asia-Pacific, for review;
> this should be done in the next 10 days or so at most.
>
> Proposed Process to conclude work:
>
> What I suggested on the ALAC monthly teleconference yesterday was that we
> should borrow from the LAC region's experience on how to conclude these
> discussions. The model they used was as follows:
>
> 1) Work in advance had produced an MoU and Operating Principles which had a
> high degree of consensus, with only a few areas which were still the subject
> of discussion.

> [...]

Jacqueline A. Morris
www.jacquelinemorris.com
www.trinidadcarnivalphotos.com