[EURO-Discuss] Toward the EURALO: A Roadmap

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at spamcop.net
Wed Jan 10 11:02:11 EST 2007

Hello everyone!

I hope you have had a great Festive break and New Years celebrations.

As so many regions are accelerating their work towards forming RALOs, an
effort which has sped up in many regions following the launch of LACRALO in
Sao Paulo, I thought I would make a few comments about how we could move
forward in Europe.

Firstly, On the incorporation of a legal entity for EURALO:

As you all know, it has proven somewhat contentious to agree the country of
incorporation. During the public forum in Sao Paulo, Paul Twomey, ICANN CEO,
may have made this issue slightly easier to resolve by the following
statement:

...I WOULD JUST MAKE ONE OTHER OBSERVATION ON THE ONE LANGUAGE ISSUE.
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT -- AND I THINK THIS IS TRUE IN MANY INTERNATIONAL
ENTITIES.
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT WE MAINTAIN A SINGLE LANGUAGE FOR BUSINESS.
THAT SORT OF FOR THE ACTUAL DOING OF BUSINESS AND FOR THE CONDUCTING OF
LEGAL AFFAIRS, IT IS ACTUALLY VERY IMPORTANT THAT WE DO THAT IN ONE
LANGUAGE.
THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE CAN'T TRANSLATE DOCUMENTS.
BUT THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE -- THE OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS SHOULD BE IN THAT ONE
LANGUAGE...

This is excerpted from the scribe of the session on Thursday - you can see
the whole notes of the session at:
http://sp.icann.org/transcript/7dec06/public-forum

It had already been the subject of consensus that the country of
incorporation would be determined by:

1) legal documents could be filed in English
2) The cost of incorporation is low
3) The cost of operating the company is low

There are only two countries we had explored incorporating in which allow
ALL legal documents to be filed in English: The United Kingdom, and
Switzerland.

As a result, these are the two countries we must choose between.

Secondly, on completing work on the Bylaws:

There are still open points on the Bylaws as you know. Some of these can
likely be resolved via online debate and discussion, but some of them may
require a face-to-face discussion.

Thirdly, the ALS community needs to agree on the contents of a Memorandum of
Understanding

As previously stated, I will produce a draft text incorporating the ideas
from Africa, Latin America/Caribbean Islands, and Asia-Pacific, for review;
this should be done in the next 10 days or so at most.

Process to conclude work:

What I suggested on the ALAC monthly teleconference yesterday was that we
should borrow from the LAC region's experience on how to conclude these
discussions. The model they used was as follows:

1) Work in advance had produced an MoU and Operating Principles which had a
high degree of consensus, with only a few areas which were still the subject
of discussion.

2) Arrangements were made for the ALS community to come to the ICANN
International Meeting in Sao Paulo and meet for several hours to conclude
work, over three separate sessions. ICANN staff prepared draft agendas and
put forward proposals for discussion in relation to the remaining open
areas, with the participants completely free to go in other directions with
respect to those points, but with the staff proposals as a place to start

3) Agreement was reached on a text, which was reviewed onsite by the ICANN
General Counsel's office to make sure that there were no problems with the
MoU in that respect. After that was concluded, the regional ALS
representatives elected the two representatives from the region to the ALAC.

4) A signing ceremony involving the press, and Vint Cerf and Paul Twomey,
were conducted in the plenary hall, and a resolution of the board was
adopted accepting the MoU subject to completion of  a public comment period.

If the region is willing, we can proceed on this basis, replacing Sao Paulo
with the Lisbon ICANN meeting scheduled for 26-30 March 2007 (
http://www.icann.org/meetings/lisbon/). Part of the benefit of this approach
is it also allows the ALS community to attend the ICANN international
meeting and engage with other constituencies and policy development
discussions.

--
Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
PO Box 32160
London N4 2XY
United Kingdom
UK Tel: +44 (20) 8800-1011
USA Tel: +1 (202) 657-5460
Fax: +44 (20) 7681-3135
mobile: +44 (7774) 932798
Win IM: ashtonhart at hotmail.com / AIM/iSight: nashtonhart at mac.com / Skype:
nashtonhart
Online Bio:   https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashtonhart

FESTIVE GREETINGS! As per usual, in lieu of cards for friends and
colleagues, I have made a donation in your name to Medecins Sans Frontieres,
to help them provide medical care to those much less fortunate than
ourselves.