[EURO-Discuss] [Fwd: Re: [At-Large] Domain Name Tasting]

Nick Ashton-Hart nick.ashton-hart at icann.org
Fri Feb 16 10:58:01 EST 2007

Firstly: John, feel free to join the European list; I'm sure that
nobody will object.

Secondly: If there are missing elements from the issues report -
which was forwarded around recently, and is attached again here - we
should identify those and make improvements to the report. Any
thoughts on that subject would be very helpful.

Thirdly: Just because the ALAC requests an issues report from the At-
large staff does not automatically lead to the GNSO Staff asking the
GNSO to initiate a PDP. Here's a snippet from the Bylaws (Annex A(1)):

1. Raising an Issue

An issue may be raised for consideration as part of the PDP by any of
the following:

     a. Board Initiation. The Board may initiate the PDP by
instructing the GNSO Council ("Council") to begin the process
outlined in this Annex.

     b. Council Initiation. The GNSO Council may initiate the PDP by
a vote of at least twenty-five percent (25%) of the members of the
Council present at any meeting in which a motion to initiate the PDP
is made.

     c. Advisory Committee Initiation. An Advisory Committee may
raise an issue for policy development by action of such committee to
commence the PDP, and transmission of that request to the GNSO Council.

In other words the ALAC would need to take action formally and
transmit a request to the GNSO Council as provided above.

HOWEVER: Just because ALAC asks the GNSO to start a PDP doesn't mean
that they will. The Council has to vote to do so - and the weighted
voting of the registrars and registries means that the extra votes
they dispose - especially in this case - could block a PDP being
raised. I'm not saying that they would block it, or that any other
constituency might do so, but the voting position means that we must
move carefully.

The initiation of a PDP is a serious step and it is very political.
If a PDP were to be sought, careful thought would need to be given to
how to assure that the PDP process actually begins - and then how to
raise the votes in the GNSO Council to help the process reach the
desired conclusion.

I would suggest strongly that careful planning and though, as well as
advance discussions with members of the GNSO council and the ICANN
Board, should be held so that the political climate can be assessed.
The At-Large Community should also, in advance, have a clear idea of
exactly what the outcome of a PDP ought to be.

--
Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
Director, At-Large