[EURO-Discuss] Nominations

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Fri Apr 13 09:53:05 EDT 2007

Jeanette Hofmann ha scritto:
> Hi, I am not sure whether I am supposed to speak up on these matters
> since I have no voting right to begin with. In any case, I'd like to say
> that I really disagree with the approach proposed below. Forming slates
> might be an ok method when people are in basic agreement or when they at
> least agree on what they disagree about. This list has shown so much
> disagreement that, in addition to regional variation, the different
> opinions should really be represented on the board. I think elections
> are the best and most democratic way to achieve this goal.

Of course we will vote if we cannot reach agreement. However, elections
always are a "traumatic" event, with winners and losers; exactly because
there has been so much disagreement, I would hope that more sooner than
later we can start working by consensus instead than by challenging each
other, and by looking for more opportunities to compete.

I'm sure that regional diversity would not be the only principle - we
could ensure that the Board includes both people who are in favour of
individual membership, and people who are against (the matter, anyway,
will finally go to the GA for decision, the Board should only prepare
the discussion). All in all, the question is whether we are able to
agree among ourselves on a reasonable leadership in this startup phase -
otherwise, we'll resort to voting.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------