[EURO-Discuss] Lisbon Results and Follow-Up

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Wed Apr 4 15:31:02 EDT 2007

Patrick Vande Walle wrote:
> Wolf,
>
> We could not find the time in Lisbon to come up with a proposal that
> would address everyone's concerns.

Dear Patrick, your reply make it sound as if individual membership and
voting rights for individuals would be just a marginal issue. It is not!

So far, at Large has been the only space in ICANN were individuals could
principally get a say. Moreover, individual membership has been one of
the constitutive principles justifying an additional group of
stakeholders in ICANN. All the ISOC chapters have the choice to join
other constituencies in ICANN. Individuals don't have that choice.

It continues to amaze me that those who had a chance to attend the
meeting in Lisbon made the decision to exclude individual voting rights
at least for the time being. You must have known that this decision is
not only controversial but neither reflects the history of At Large
membership in ICANN nor the wish of other members of EURALO who couldn't
attend the meeting.
best, jeanette

We decided to draft a well-thought