[EURO-Discuss] At-Large Advisory Committee Election Results

Thomas Roessler roessler at does-not-exist.org
Wed Dec 13 06:42:37 CST 2006

On 2006-12-13 13:20:54 +0100, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> But there are numerous other cases of appointment of liaisons
> outside of the Committee - both in the ALAC (e.g. Bret as GNSO
> liaison for the last two years) and outside (e.g. the Vice-Chair
> of the Nomcom, whom the Chair of the Nomcom decided to appoint
> outside of the Nomcom members rather than picking one of them).

That example is irrelevant, besides the point, and factually wrong
on several counts. See ICANN bylaws VII.2.9.

> Yes and no. When we got into the Sao Paulo meetings, many of us
> expected to find a more formalized procedure - in fact, when we
> asked, Annette told us that her plan was just to "meet and vote"
> on Thursday. I guess she didn't expect so much controversy! In
> the end, as more candidacies were presented (and you might note
> that this was the first time ever that we did not have an
> incumbent member to reappoint)

What you mean is that it's the first time that there was no
consensus on the candidate.  "Meet and vote" essentially was the
approach in the past, and it worked fairly nicely as long as there
was no significant contention around appointments.

> and more and more doubts on how to proceed arose as well, many
> people in the Committee, starting from myself, suggested that we
> needed clearer formalized rules (in the meantime, we had a lot of
> discussion before voting, on procedures for the voting itself).

... which ALAC hadn't gotten around to adopting in, what?, almost
four years? For two (or three?) of which it was chaired by whom
again?  I remember having written a draft of that kind of rules in
spring '03, and I also remember strong push-back on that very
concept, with warm, cuddly, and consensus-heavy rhetoric.  So, I'd
recommend you stay away from playing the blame-game as far as ALAC
voting rules and the like are concerned.

There are many more reasons for the non-existence of rules in ALAC
than just Annette's actions or non-actions.

>> With other words, I recommend that ALAC drafts procedural rules
>> for the appointment of the Board liaison as soon as possible
>> and adopts it on its next regular meeting in Lisboa.

> ...which is what the ALAC already decided to do one week ago, so
> we are actually in agreement :)

Good to hear.

> By the way, we should celebrate that the ALAC picked one of us
> for this role, rather than being unhappy about it!

Oh please.  Stop it.

--
Thomas Roessler   <roessler at does-not-exist.org>