[EURO-Discuss] At-Large Advisory Committee Election Results

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri Dec 8 05:18:58 CST 2006

Patrick Vande Walle ha scritto:
> A few days ago, it was explained on this list that the nomcom chair
> would suggest a name for the ALAC liaison. Now we see that the ALAC
> actually had a vote. Who decided that and when ? Who voted in favour on
> this change ? who voted against ?

I think that there is a misunderstanding. The message that was sent some
time ago was about appointing one new ALAC member representing EURALO,
since Annette, who was previously sitting in one of the two EURALO
seats, decided to apply for Roberto's seat - the one representing ICANN
and appointed by the ICANN Nomcom - and the Nomcom picked her. Thus,
this frees up one of the two EURALO seats, which, until we formally
incorporate EURALO and sign an MoU with ICANN, is to be filled by the
ICANN Board. As soon as we sign that MoU, the ICANN-Board-appointed ALAC
members (they being me and whoever will get appointed in place of
Annette in the next few weeks) will expire, and EURALO will have to
appoint two representatives in the ALAC.

The ICANN Board, however, usually asks for advice before making the
appointment; initially, since this is going to be a short-lived
appointment - we hope to finalize the EURALO process by the ICANN Lisbon
meeting, next March - Roberto and I suggested that we could ask the
Nomcom to provide another name, which would have allowed the Board to
make a very quick appointment, and thus to bring the appointed person
here in Sao Paulo for this ICANN meeting. However, there was another
proposal that the three European ALAC members pick someone instead. I
strongly disagree on that, because I think that if we don't go for a
quick appointment, then it should be the ALSes who suggest someone, also
because it might be someone that the ALSes might want to reappoint after
we sign the MoU in March (though there is absolutely no constraint to
that effect). So we discussed the matter here in Sao Paulo, and all the
three European ALAC members agreed to make a call to the European ALSes
to suggest one or more names, to be then discussed and forwarded to the
ICANN Board for consideration; Annette is supposed to post that call
shortly.

In any case, please all of you start considering and posting possible
nominees (or self-nominations) as temporary European ALAC member, even
if it might be just for a few months and for one ICANN meeting in
Lisbon. Also, I want to make it clear that I will not reapply for my
seat, I think that four years is enough and I really want some new
people from this group to be able to serve on the ALAC (I said this in
public before being appointed as ALAC Board liaison, so it's not
connected to that).

The message that Nick sent yesterday, instead, was about the internal
ALAC appointments: the ALAC, as any Committee, has to appoint its Chair,
Vice Chairs, and also a number of liaisons to other bodies. These
positions are to be filled internally by the ALAC, as they represent the
distribution of labour among its members. In this specific case, there
was no established procedure, and even no advance knowledge of all the
nominations, so it was actually impossible to have any further
consultation - it was all decided yesterday at an open meeting of the
ALAC. I still see it a bit difficult to imagine that these positions can
be filled by a broader group than the ALAC itself, since they are really
connected to internal balances in a 15-people group that has to work
together, but I already suggested that the ALAC should have better
procedures for these appointments, which could allow sufficient time to
have a consultation with the RALOs about the various nominees.

Ciao,