[Euro-board] EURALO Board Action Items posted

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Mar 31 10:54:33 UTC 2016

Thanks for this Sébastien.

I agree with the points you have made but let me respond to a few:

"no need to have this text twice in the document"
-> Agreed

"any agreement with other European Org?"
--> there is an agreement with EuroDIG. Nothing with RIPE nor CENTR yet.
At this stage, as things might change, I'd prefer not to mention any
specific agreements.

end users vs. Internet users
--> I know this is a bit of a religious discussion. The ICANN bylaws use:
"The At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) is the primary organizational
home within ICANN for individual Internet users."

So Internet users is now the preferred term.

No - there are not growing more than the ALS and in Europe Individual
members are in one ALS
--> I do not think that the text as it currently is, implies that they
are growing at a faster rate than ALSes.
The text is: "There are over 190 At-Large Structures (ALSes) around the
world and a growing number of independent members."
It just says that there is an increasing number of independent members,
but it does not imply that they are growing at a faster rate. May
suggest removing the ambiguity:
"There are over 190 At-Large Structures (ALSes) around the world and a
significant number of independent members."

ISOC Chapters, capacity building org
--> I would refrain from mentioning a specific organisation name.
That said, the sentence needs re-writing. At present it is:
"Whether it is an Internet-related
consumer rights group, an academic organization, or a
public-minded individual, we share a passion for furthering
the development of ICTs and contributing to policies that
influence the technical coordination of the Domain Name
System."

Suggestion for replacement text:
Our membership is diverse, ranging from Internet-related
consumer rights groups, academic organizations, computer
clubs, technical communities, to civil society organizations.
We share a passion for furthering the development of ICTs
and contributing to policies that influence the technical
coordination of the Domain Name System to better serve
end users.

(please note z in organisations, in line with the official calling of
EURALO: European Regional At-Large Organization)

our community of end users
--> I don't think we need to repeat this here too. We've repeated it
enough elsewhere on the flyer.

Finally -- a sharp eye -- well done to Sébastien for spotting Lorem
Ipsum in top right hand corner of the 2nd page.

My suggestion for text there:

"Our region represents a significant number of Internet users in the
world. EURALO has a significant voice in influencing ICANN's
multistakeholder policy development. Why don't you consider joining as
an individual or with your organization? *The Internet is yours.*"

Kindest regards,

Olivier

On 29/03/2016 23:56, Sébastien Bachollet wrote:
> Hello
> Please find attache the Euralo Flyer with my comments
> All the best
> SeB
>
> Skills are useful but diversity is essential.
>
> Sébastien Bachollet
> +33 6 07 66 89 33
> Blog: http://sebastien.bachollet.fr/
> Mail: Sébastien Bachollet <sebastien at bachollet.com>
>

> Le 16/02/2016 02:40, « Silvia Vivanco »
> <euro-board-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org on behalf of
> silvia.vivanco at icann.org> a écrit :
>
>> Dear EURALO Board members,
>>
>> Kindly see below the Action Items of today's call posted on the wiki
>> page. Please review and edit as you think appropriate.
>>
>> Action Items:
>>

>> 1.      Task Force on ALS engagement, Members:  Wolf Ludwig,  Jordi
>> Iparraguirre, Olivier Crepin Leblond.
>>

>>  *   Silvia Vivanco<https://community.icann.org/display/~silvia.vivanco>
>> to send a call for more members to join the Taskforce.
>>  *   Yesim Nazlar<https://community.icann.org/display/~yesim.nazlar> to
>> create 2 new mailing list for the EURALO task forces.
>>
>>    2.  Task Force on review and revision of the EURALO by-Laws
>>

>>  *   Silvia Vivanco<https://community.icann.org/display/~silvia.vivanco>
>> to send a call for volunteers to join the Taskforce
>> Members: Olivier Crepin Leblond, Mikhail Medrish (who suggested to look
>> at what the other RALOs have done), Annette Muehlberg find out if there
>> is anything we do that is a clash with the By-laws and Wolf Ludwig.
>>
>>  3. EURALO flyer: Task is to update the flyers and add any new text and
>> photos. Deadline: End of April.
>>

>>  *   Silvia Vivanco<https://community.icann.org/display/~silvia.vivanco>
>> to send flyer to the EURALO Board list.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Silvia
>>

>> Silvia Vivanco
>> Manager, At Large Regional Affairs
>> ICANN | Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
>> www.icann.org<http://www.icann.org/>

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html