[Euro-board] Draft Agenda EURALO GA in London

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Fri May 30 01:17:27 UTC 2014

Dear Olivier,

thanks for your valuable comments. Please find my remarks inserted below.

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote Fri, 30 May 2014 00:59:
>Dear Wolf,
>
>thank you for your explanation about the shortening of the bylaws.
>Indeed it would be a waste of time to attempt to re-write the bylaws
>when meeting face to face. It would be worth launching a small WG as you
>suggest at the GA & give it a task to revert back to the EURALO Board,
>say, 6 months later, with proposals? (or just before the Los Angeles
>ICANN meeting?)

(WL) If we can find a small group of people (Board and other members) who are willing to work on this -- fine. But as mentioned before, this does not work by "volunteering only". As we know from the past, Bylaws are always "touchy" or complex at least. And those people need to be familiar with different European association law models and standards to come up with some solid suggestions within a shorter period of time (6 months). From the 2006 experience we know that this can provoke frictions and endless discussions when people don't have a clear and common concept in mind!

>Re: ICANN Strategy for Europe, I thought that the presence of
>Jean-Jacques Sahel will help with this. In a recent call I have had with
>Jean-Jacques, he has expressed his interest in hearing about us. So it
>is fair to say that we will have a strong voice in the ICANN Strategy in
>Europe. I fully support sticking to point 14 - with the added suggestion
>that we look at the bigger picture too and with the knowledge that we
>are likely to receive much more support from ICANN in realising our
>strategy than a few years ago.

(WL) Reflecting past GAs I still have some doubts to "over-demand" the majority of our members with this. Simply because a small group of regular insiders only is familiar with this broader ICANN Strategy plans while most members have not followed related discussions. And a F2F GA shouldn't be a teaching session. A compromise could be to combine the EURALO and ICANN strategy (broader picture) debate under AI 14.

>Let me repeat this here: just like many other Stakeholders out there,
>At-Large and RALOs are going to play a key role in the future of the
>Internet Governance Ecosystem.

(WL) Agreed on that in principle but EURALO's current functioning is far from this expectation. Or just reflecting how many members participate on the list and at our monthly calls?

Kind regards,
Wolf