[Euro-board] WG: WG: [EURO-Discuss] ICANN Board candidate (Seat 15) Regional consultations – your presentations

Subrenat, Jean-Jacques jjs at dyalog.net
Tue Mar 4 08:26:28 UTC 2014

Dear Wolf,

I'm glad to oblige. Here are some extracts from my Statement of Interest for Seat 15, in response to questions EURALO members may wish to ask:

1. DESCRIBE HOW YOU MEET THE CRITERIA FOR THE AT-LARGE SELECTED BOARD DIRECTOR POSITION.

Comment: My global experience includes:

1/ BOARD MEMBERSHIP OR LEADERSHIP
- as Chair of an Advisory Board (Institut Pierre Werner, Luxembourg) 2008-10
- as a Director (Board of Directors, ICANN) 2007-10

2/ A HIGH LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY IN PUBLIC AFFAIRS
- in a multilateral framework (as Ambassador, Permanent Representative to an European institution)
- in nation-to-nation relationships (as Ambassador)

3/ A WIDE EXPERIENCE IN
- public diplomacy, advocacy, communication
- oversight, management
- initiating, funding, overseeing and auditing projects (public development aid, scientific and educational
cooperation worldwide)
- negotiation, decision-making, reporting

4/ AN INTERNATIONAL PERSPECTIVE
- familiarity with a wide range of working methods and social codes in a variety of countries
- high-level experience in international affairs (analysis, recommendations to public authority,
implementation, reporting, communicating)
- working languages: English (fluent, including drafting, speaking in public), French (native tongue), Chinese
(good), Japanese (good), Finnish (some)
- familiarity with all the tools used by the ICANN Board, including for frequent telephone or teleconference
meetings

5/ A COMMITTMENT TO THE AT-LARGE COMMUNITY, AND MORE WIDELY TO THE MULTI-STAKEHOLDER MODEL
- During my service on the ICANN Board, I was an active member of the ALAC Review, whose
recommendations called for (among other things) the appointment to the ICANN Board of a voting member
to be chosen by the ALAC. I also supported the call for ICANN to fund the At-Large Summit in Mexico
- While serving on the Board, I promoted the creation of the Public Participation Committee, of which I was
the first Chair
- Also during my service on the Board, I proposed the creation of a Board Committee to oversee ICANN's
institutional commitments and international relations. It took me more than 2 years to get this idea finally
approved by the Board, which thus created its Global Relationships Committee
- On the Board, I called for the further "internationalization" of ICANN. Two examples: as a member of the
President's Strategy Committee, I was one of the main drafters of the "Improving Institutional Confidence"
document and recommendations. Among our recommendations: the creation of ICANN offices "in different
legal environments", outside of California and the USA.
- While on the Board, I frequently spoke in favour of the launch of IDNs.
- Also on the Board, as Chair of the PPC, I often helped top-level management and Staff in extending
ICANN's linguistic capability.
- In the ALAC, I initiated the Future Challenges Working Group (FCWG) which drafted ALAC's White Paper
on "Making ICANN Relevant, Responsive and Respected", which examined the future challenges to the
multi-stakeholder system, and made recommendations

6/ AN INDEPENDENT MIND, AND A DEDICATION TO PROBLEM-SOLVING
- As a retired professional, I have a pension which allows me to remain independent of any lobby or
pressure group.
- During my service on the ICANN Board, on several occasions I opposed decisions which, in my judgment,
were not in the global public interest, even when this put me in a highly visible minority, or even set me all
alone. Acting on the same principles, I also abstained on several occasions, always providing an
explanation for my position, as part of a Board member's duty of accountability.
- Clarity, simplicity, inclusiveness, sound judgment, the ability to work in a truly international context.
- Due to past responsibilities, I am in a position to bring to the ICANN Board a measure of gravitas. And
when needed, I can cut through byzantine discussions: no brutality, just authority gained from experience.

3. PROVIDE A STATEMENT ABOUT WHAT YOU WOULD CONTRIBUTE IN THE AT-LARGE SELECTED ICANN BOARD DIRECTION POSITION TO ICANN AND ITS MISSION

Comment: As detailed under the preceding chapters, I am confident I can bring to the ICANN Board:
- An independent mind, freedom from lobbies or interest groups, and gravitas where needed.
- The ability to listen and understand, to work with a team in various linguistic, cultural and professional
contexts.
- Sound judgment, clarity, the ability to express complex issues in understandable terms (in writing and
orally).
- A wide international experience, acquired as a diplomat (including 10 consecutive years as an
Ambassador), which was widened to Internet-related matters over the past decade.
- Familiarity with working with, and sometimes leading, teams of international professionals from different
backgrounds and a variety of cultures.
- A record of active service on Boards, as Chair (IPW Luxembourg) or Member (ICANN).
- A thorough knowledge of At-Large issues, concerns and aspirations, thanks to my involvement in those
matters during my service on the Board, and since 2010 on the ALAC.
- Familiarity with the issues, working methods, structures and constraints of the ICANN Board.
- Availability to carry out the obligations of a Director of the ICANN Board.

4. PROVIDE A STATEMENT ABOUT WHAT YOU WOULD CONTRIBUTE IN THE AT-LARGE SELECTED ICANN BOARD DIRECTOR POSITION TO THE AT-LARGE COMMUNITY

Comment:
1/ Having served on the ICANN Board (2007-10), I am familiar with its structure, working methods,
occasional traps, and various types of problem-solving. Because of this, it would take me only a short while
to serve fully as a Board member.
2/ Thanks to my experience outside of the Internet world, I could help improve ICANN's international
standing and credibility, not by encroaching on the role of the CEO and senior Staff, but by helping them,
through the appropriate Board committees, in
- acquiring a better grasp of international issues,
- formulating longer-term policy choices,
- choosing "default settings" in all of ICANN's activities, in such a way that the international dimension would
become second nature, rather than an unusual choice,
- positioning ICANN in the upcoming phase of global Internet governance, initiated by some countries
(Brazil...) and the leaders of some organizations (CEO of ICANN...).
3/ My familiarity with At-Large issues would not be lost: if elected to the Board, I would bring (this time
around) the added experience gained on the ALAC since 2010. Some of the wider issues are:
- proper representation (geographic, cultural, linguistic, gender),
- equal access to knowledge and training (including through the "Academy" initiated by the ALAC),
- simplification of structures (the R3 White Paper, of which I was an initiator and co-author, analyzed the
current "constituencies" and made recommendations on this topic).

5. PLEASE DESCRIBE SPECIFICALLY HOW AND WHY YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ADVANCE, AT THE ICANN BOARD, THE INTERESTS OF THE AT-LARGE COMMUNITY AND THE BORADER GLOBAL COMMUNITY OF INTERNET END-USERS

Comment: My familiarity with At-Large issues would be an advantage. If elected to the Board, I would bring (this time
around) the added experience gained on the ALAC since 2010. Some of the wider issues in our community
are
- proper representation at all levels of ICANN (geographic, cultural, linguistic, gender),
- equal and fair access to knowledge and training (e.g. through the "Academy" initiated by the ALAC),
- a necessary simplification of current structures within ICANN, such as its system of "constituencies" (the
ALAC White Paper known as "R3", of which I was an initiator and co-author, analyzed the structures and
made recommendations to that effect).

Let me just add 2 recent elements:
- The ATLAS II Summit (London, June 2014) will have an over-arching theme, "The Global Internet: The User Perspective". As the author of this suggestion, I am gratified that it was accepted by my ALAC and At-Large colleagues.
- In the ALAC, the Future Challenges Working Group (FCWG) which I initiated and of which I am co-Chair (with Evan Leibovitch), will now focus on "The Internet as a space of freedom: the user perspective". The FCWG will hold an open meeting during ICANN-49 in Singapore (meeting scheduled for Thursday 27 March 2014, 08:00 to 09:00 local time).

I hope the above information meets the requirements of EURALO. If you need anything else, I am at your disposal.

Best regards,
Jean-Jacques.