[Euro-board] REMINDER: Request for Secretariat Monthly Reports

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sun Jul 25 17:10:15 CDT 2010

Dear Matthias,

following-up on my message below, please be so kind to find my suggested
entry for the July 2010 EURALO monthly report. I am copying this to the
EURALO Board - because Wolf is away until the end of the month, and I
have no idea whether what I've written is the correct way to do it or
not, so please be so kind to provide valuable advice on this:

--- snip --- snip --- snip --- snip ---

- Olivier was appointed for the remainder of the EURALO Secretariat
position by consensus during the Brussels EURALO meeting, in replacement
of Dessi. EURALO thanks Dessi for her great contribution during her term
and wishes her well in her future endeavours, whilst hoping that she
will still actively take part in EURALO work.

-The transition caused no monthly report to be filed in that period and
the current report also catches up on news for June 2010.

- Discussions on individual EURALO membership are still under way, with
a consensus that individual membership should be implemented in EURALO
but no clear way to do it yet.

- A EURALO General Assembly (GA) will take place in September during the
Internet Governance Forum (IGF) in Vilnius, Lithuania. This will be an
"E-GA", that is, a GA taking place as a teleconference call, with EURALO
participants already in Vilnius for the IGF, present physically in a
meeting room. This is because EURALO has not been given any budget by
ICANN for a GA, so all people who will be present physically will be
there on their own budget. The IGF brings together many people from the
At Large population so it is hoped that many ALSes will be present in
Vilnius. The GA is likely to last three hours. Its details and agenda
will be worked out in August.

- There was good participation at the EURALO Showcase event in Brussels
and we had many high quality speakers. Deputy Director-General,
Information Society and Media Directorate-General of the European
Commission Antti Peltomaki was the keynote speaker. We thank him and all
of the other speakers for their participation. The event was a real
success to raise awareness of EURALO and At Large. Although no immediate
new ALS application have been received so far, we are hopeful that this
will change in Vilnius.

- Outreach is being focused on Eastern European, Southern European and
Northern European areas to increase the number of ALSes in these
regions. Gender balance is also emphasized - it is understood that
EURALO needs more diversity.

- European RALO in-reach was pursued, with a good regional response to
the ALS survey: over 50% of ALSes responded. However, some ALSes did not
participate. There is a concern that some European ALSes do not
participate much once they have registered, and EURALO is trying to
bring them back "in the loop". At last resort, a mechanism for
"de-certification" might need to be examined. This will be discussed in
further detail in the near future. The results of the survey have been
published as a Powerpoint presentation which has been posted on the
EURALO Web site.

- Last, but not least, EURALO officially endorses the AFRALO Statement
on the suggested Bylaw modifications to add an At-Large Board Director.

--- snip --- snip --- snip --- snip ---

I am not sure whether this needs to be passed by Wolf, or the EURALO
Board? Ideally, I'd like to have a report filed by EURALO in time for
the Tuesday ALAC meeting, so that's why I've quickly bumped this
together. As a result: did I miss anything? Thanks for your guidance.

Warmest regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD