[Euro-board] EURALO role at EuroDIG 09

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Fri Jun 19 04:59:14 EDT 2009

Hi Wolf,

On Jun 18, 2009, at 3:59 PM, Wolf Ludwig wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> sorry, with all respect, I don’t agree with your point that
> “workshops in question appear to have little
> or nothing to do with ICANN or even with Internet governance more
> generally”, as you said.

Ok, we can agree to disagree, but since you asked I ventured an answer.

> I don’t want to discuss “Internet governance more generally” now
> (what we could do at a next dinner ;-) BUT as far as I understand
> the RALO role and EURALO mandate, we have to deal with *user
> interests and rights*. And if I do not like restrictive and
> prohibitive approaches by gvts., business, ITU or whoever arguing
> for control and filtering etc. under the pretext of “child
> protection” (see the debate in Germany at the moment) what clearly
> endangers FoE and other basic rights, I (or EURALO) has to offer
> alternative concepts like empowerment of users – for example via
> Internet literacy programs, consumer information/ education etc. In
> this context, I see a clear link with our mandate. This at least is
> my point of view.

The session on Access to infrastructure and content says it is
concerned with

(Part I) Access to Infrastructure: How to create an enabling
environment? What business models and what regulation for
infrastructure market? Financing and sharing models for IT
infrastructure? Should there be universal service including broadband?

(Part II) Access to content: Digital divide. Should we regulate new
media? Professional journalism and trust in the Internet. What role of
public service media in the Internet? Quality standards for user
generated content? Where is the dividing line between private
communication and public expression? Viral advertising. Telecoms
package and protecting fundamental human rights. Freedom of expression.

These are all important and interesting questions, but with the
exception of human rights they are preeminently matters of national-
level policy and corporate practices, not global collective governance
frameworks.  One could argue that in cases where there is significant
convergence of approach among major markets that a uniform set of
rules and conditions de facto applies transnationally across a
significant share of the relevant global policy space, and that this
constitutes a sort of ersatz global collective policy framework, but
that's a sort of conceptual debating point and I anyway don't see that
these conditions actually obtain for the issues mentioned.  And---
again, with the exception of human rights----the linkages to ICANN are
equally not obvious.

And the session on media literacy says it is concerned with

citizenship; competences; consumerism; media coaching; user
aggregration; serious games; identity construction; human rights
respect and implementation; online resources; open educational
resources; cross-cultural education and communication; cultural
diversity; towards a European media literacy model; governance of
media education; mapping of media education policies; dyanmic
coalition on media governance.

Again, these are important and interesting questions, but I see even
less connection to IG here.  How are these IG and/or ICANN issues, in
your view?

> Besides this, I agree with you that “given the important
> developments underway in the IG field, (it) is arguably a pity” that
> this issues are not better and appropriately reflected in the
> current version of the EuroDIG draft program!

Well, so there's at least one point of agreement!

Cheers,

Bill

william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
www.graduateinstitute.ch/cig/drake.html