[Euro-board] [GTLD-WG] WG: Re: [ALAC-Internal] Fwd: Re: URGENT-ALAC statement on IRTP report

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue May 5 18:06:46 EDT 2009

Olivier wrote:

> Clearly, both your version and Patrick's version are similar in
> essence. The interesting thing I am noticing is the cultural
> difference playing here: whereas Europeans are softer and more
> diplomatic in their approach, North Americans are sharper and, should
> I say, more agressive in tone.
While I appreciate the comments... I have a difficult time representing
my household, much less my continent. :-)

Please be aware that my comments in that document are my own only and
were not done in consultation with my RALO or ALS.

> Both approaches have much merit. My prefernece would lean towards the
> more agressive tone, an appreciation probably triggered by a mix of
> anglo-saxon & gallic attitudes. :-)

I simply note that the text in many documents prepared by other
constituencies -- and certainly the IRTP -- are more assertive than
diplomatic in tone. I suppose that the style I used simply reflects an
observation that we sometimes need to make special effort just to be
heard amongst the various governments and financially-driven
constituencies. As a result, we need to use stronger language so that we
do not get brushed aside. Kurt Pritz's response to both myself and Rudy
at the gTLD briefing in Mexico is a good example of what we need to
confront -- those who work against the public interest appear to have
little interest in diplomacy unless it is forced upon them.

> It would be good to hear from others, especially those who have much
> experience in ICANN diplomacy. The comment period end on the 6th May
> but futher comments can be left until 24th May (although we really
> need this thing out by the 6th).
> REMINDER: *** This is a vital point relating to the Camel's Nose ***
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel%27s_nose
I agree completely.

- Evan