[Euro-board] [GTLD-WG] WG: Re: [ALAC-Internal] Fwd: Re: URGENT-ALAC statement on IRTP report

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue May 5 12:47:08 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I am sorry it took me so long to respond.

I have suggested some edits to Patrick's document on the Wiki. You are
welcome to use them or reject them, in which case simply revert back to
the last one Patrick did.

My changes were two-fold. In some cases I wanted to be more direct and
assertive ("must" instead of "should"). My largest changes are in the
preamble, in which I wanted to be more direct in noting the complete
lack of transparency in the IRTP process -- the summary rejection of
willing At-Large participants, the short reaction times, and the lack of
any participation by those to be affected. These are all points Patrick
made, I just wanted to make the statement sharper, that the entire
process by which the IRTP has operated is a reversal of ICANN's goals of
transparency and inclusiveness.

I also added what I believed to be some clarity to the comments about
the methods of takedown notices, without changing Patrick's intent. (For
instance, I think that "expiry" has a more definite meaning --
especially to the lawyers -- than "sunset").

Patrick's original (Version 7):
https://st.icann.org/gnso-liaison/index.cgi?action=revision_view;page_name=draft_statements_related_to_irt_s_remit_from_at_large;revision_id=20090504185107

My edits (Version 8):
https://st.icann.org/gnso-liaison/index.cgi?action=revision_view;page_name=draft_statements_related_to_irt_s_remit_from_at_large;revision_id=20090505162319

Side-by-side comparison:
https://st.icann.org/gnso-liaison/index.cgi?action=revision_compare&page_name=draft_statements_related_to_irt_s_remit_from_at_large&mode=source&new_revision_id=20090505162319&old_revision_id=20090504185107

I hope my edits are acceptable to Patrick and the rest of the WG. If not
and the preference is for the original, that's OK too. I just hope I've
been able to help.

By the way.... is there are reason why this statement is on the GNSO
section of the website and not ALAC's?

- Evan