[Euro-board] TR: [ALAC-ExCom] TR: EURALO statement on the Operational Plan and Budget

Sébastien Bachollet sebastien.bachollet at isoc.fr
Tue Apr 21 12:20:01 EDT 2009

For your knowledge.
All the best

Sébastien Bachollet
Président d'honneur - Isoc France
sebastien.bachollet at isoc.fr
www.egeni.org
www.isoc.fr

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Nick Ashton-Hart [mailto:nick.ashton-hart at icann.org]
Envoyé : mercredi 1 avril 2009 10:11
À : sebastien.bachollet at isoc.fr
Cc : alac-excom at atlarge-lists.icann.org; Heidi Ullrich; Matthias Langenegger
Objet : Re: [ALAC-ExCom] TR: [Euro-board] EURALO statement on the
Operational Plan and Budget

Dear All:

Unfortunately receiving these now means that they have to be sent in as
public comments. We are far beyond the point at which I can submit them
for the draft budget.

May I also ask you to consider the following:

ICANN budgeting is (and always has been) project based, and is becoming
more so. The board wants to see performance against objectives in the
operating plan, which are themselves congruent with the strategic plan.

Therefore, compiling costs and submitting them is actually the opposite
of how the budget is put together. It is for this reason that Denise,
Doug, me, and Kevin have, year after year, suggested that what we really
need is for RALOs, and At-Large, to decide upon *what it wants to
accomplish first*, and then from that costs can be put together.  Almost
without exception, instead what we get is *how much people want to
spend, generally with little or nothing said about what the funds spent
are meant to accomplish*, and without any connection with the operating
plan or the strategic plan.

Then, when AL doesn't get all of what it asks for, we have calls for
detailed actual-to-budget spending, anger that the community was
ignored, etc.

Having watched this all play out year after year, I'd REALLY like to
break this cycle. It doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for anyone.

I'm open to suggestions about what we can do.

Sébastien Bachollet wrote:
> Hello,
> For you info, the proposed budget form Euralo.
> I guess it will be interesting to have the same from each RALO and some
kind
> of consolidation.
> Maybe the Ralo Secretariats can handle that?
> All the best
>
> Sébastien Bachollet
> Président d'honneur - Isoc France
> sebastien.bachollet at isoc.fr
> www.egeni.org
> www.isoc.fr

Budget

> Cher Sébastien,
>
> I was very busy the last ten days with professional stuff and couldn't
> accomplish this Budget issue earlier -- sorry.
>
> Attached please find a revised Budget version as discussed at the GA in
> Mexico with inclusion of some costs for the 3rd GA under point 2. Thanks
for
> forwarding this revised and GA approved EURALO Budget version to the ALAC
> Budget Committee.
>
> Amitiés,
> Wolf
>

>  Sébastien Bachollet wrote Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:25:
>
>> Merci Wolf,
>> Pourrais-tu me faire parvenir une copie de la demande de budget pour
>> Euralo ?
>> Amitiés
>>
>> Sébastien Bachollet
>> Président d'honneur - Isoc France