[Euro-board] [ALAC-Internal] Details on why the france at large application was turned down

Nick Ashton-Hart Nick.Ashton-Hart at icann.org
Wed May 21 10:25:24 EDT 2008

You are most welcome - how about the paragraph I have inserted below in the text of the letter to address your points?

On 21/05/2008 15:53, "Jeanette Hofmann" <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:

Hi Nick, thank you for compiling this letter. I think the factual basis
of the letter is good. What I find missing as a conclusion following the
presentation of those facts. Do you think an explanatory letter doesn't
need a conclusion along the line of: Therefore, we were unable to follow
your request....
I think it would also be good to finish with an encouraging note that
once the mailing lists show more activity, a new request for membership
is welcome.

thanks, jeanette

Nick Ashton-Hart wrote:
> [...]
>
> Of course this is just a draft  - we are happy to compile any changes
> required to produce a final draft. The word version of the letter is
> also attached.
>
> TO: france at large
> FROM: staff at atlarge.icann.org
> cc: A Muehlberg, S Bachollet, alac-excomm at atlarge-lists.icann.org,
> euro-board at atlarge-lists.icann.org
> RE: Application of france at large for At-Large Structure (ALS) accreditation
>
> Dear Sir or Madam:
> We write to you at the request of the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC)
> in order to provide you with information on the reasons why your
> application to join the At-Large community was not successful. We hope
> that the information provided below facilitates your understanding:
>
> ·     *Statements made on the application form are not borne out on the
> france at large website.* For example, the application (reply to question
> 1b) states that:
>
> "Members of the At-Large community can freely join france at large by
> subscribing to the general mailing list. The members organise the list
> moderation and decide on what motions and projects they will vote."
> However, the general mailing list archives hosted on your website for
> members have no postings (as at the time of application).  In reply to
> question 2(f), the application states that:
> "...At the end of 2007, there were 17 members...."
> However, since the application in several places makes clear that all
> the activities of france at large are to happen on the general members
> forum - including but not limited to joining the organisation - and
> those forums are empty, the only conclusion which can reasonably be
> drawn is that there are no members.
>
> ·     *The application implies that france at large is associated with
> organisations which are independent third parties, yet in several cases
> the WHOIS data for these sites seem to lead to the same email address,
> which was also used to register one of the two france at large domains:
> *
> For example, on question 1 of Objectives, the application states that
> france at large:
> "... Plans to participate:
> In the French, European and Global Internet Governance Forums
> (http://franceatlarge.fr/index.php?title=Propositions_FGI) ..."
> And goes on to list in specific:
> "... In the Intertest for projects concerning current usage..."
> A sample search of the WHOIS records for some of the organisations
> referenced at http://franceatlarge.fr/index.php?title=Propositions_FGI
> was conducted. The WHOIS records for intertest.org and wecann.info are
> identical in virtually every respect to those for one of the two domain
> names for france at large, franceatlarge.org (see full WHOIS results at the
> end of this letter).
>
> We note that wecann.info has a mailing list with a closed archive,
> however, upon registration, the archive shows no posts have been made,

In closing, for these reasons we were unable to accredit your organisation as an At-Large Structure. Should your organisation's situation change, we encourage you to re-apply for ALS status. In the meantime, we wish to emphasise that you, like all individual Internet users, are welcome to continue to participate in EURALO's mailing list and its work.

--

Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
Director for At-Large