[At-Large] Say Whut!

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Dec 11 09:43:26 UTC 2018

At 11/12/2018 03:27 AM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
On Tue, Dec 11, 2018, 9:07 AM Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca<mailto:alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:

Our current plan going forward is to use those ALSes as a conduit to their members.

That's not the current plan, that's been the always plan since the ALS concept was invented. What has changed now?

It has always been the words that a few of us have mouthed. It has rarely bee the actual practice and centrally we have done little or nothing to actually make it happen.

If it works, great. If it oesn't then it may well be the time to focus on phasing ALSes out. But I am optimistic.

It's now been a dozen years or so. How much longer will it take to prove or disprove?

We have now committed to the Board to take steps to make it happen. Yes, far later than we should have, but the lack of time-machines makes other fixes difficult.

Bottom line is that except in a few relatively rare cases, work is done by people - wee need to find those people willing and interested to work, regardless of whether they are unaffiliated or hear about us through their ALS.

There are yet other ways of attracting them.

Indeed, thus our OTHER main focus on doing just.

Alan

- Evan