[At-Large] At-Large Use of Country and Territory Names as Top Level Domains

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 16:54:56 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 4:46 PM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com>
wrote:

> On 23/09/2015 16:18, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> > That said, there is also merit in reserving the corresponding alpha-3
> > letter of each country and then opening up to the Gs. The advantage in
> > that is that some level of consistency will be ensured so the registry
> > managing for instance .ng will also manage .ngr
>
> If .NG is under ccNSO and .NGR under GNSO there is no guarantee that
> this would be the case. Could .NGR be run by a Registry based outside
> Nigeria? Would this introduce competition to the local ccTLD? Would this
> siphon money out of Nigeria rather than keeping it in the local economy?

While there are still a few ccTLDs that is still being run by registries
based outside the region, I think that decision making process should
remain with the respective countries. So such situation described above is
a bottleneck that needs to be avoided at ICANN level; .NGR for instance
should not be run under the GNSO. If the 3 letter TLD is to be opened as
gTLD then it would be preferred to reserve the corresponding country codes
for ccTLDs. I would expect that necessary processes will be put in place to
ensure that the alpha-3 reserved in the 3 letter TLDs are operated in
similar manner used by the alpha-2 (both at operation and policy level).

That said, there is still the question of whether current ccTLD registries
will be willing to maintain an extra tld. Nevertheless, i think it should
be done in the interest of avoiding ambiguity, ensuring clarity and proper
structure; It will be good for ICANN to ensure that a country alpha-3 code
does not get delegated to an "unauthorised" registry. I fear the future
politics within ICANN will be more complicated than we know it if that is
not done.

Regards

Kind regards,

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*

Bringing another down does not take you up - think about your action!