[At-Large] [ALAC] Fwd: A million domains taken down by email checks

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Fri Jul 4 17:22:09 UTC 2014

Yes it should be...

but

Many domain registrants I know do not know about DNS or ICANN or
registrars. They do not really care. They got a name helped by a friend
or small local IT provider for their hobby,  book, artwork, photos,
family site. In time that friend moves on or dies, the records in DNS
suffer the usual entropy and fail to keep up. It is not they are bad
actors - just that the way the DNS is managed is completely bonkers from
their perspective and they just don't know that their email used is with
a provider that stopped providing email and is no longer working or even
that it is still the registered email for the domain or even there is a
registrar site they got login details for three or five years ago where
they can manage all of that.

Christian