[At-Large] ITU versus ICANN

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 16:41:25 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM, John R. Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

> > One proposal from Russian-speaking countries has gone so far as to call
> for
> > scrapping the GAC, and have ITU give itself veto power over all ICANN
> board
> > decisions. Even a compromise would essentially undermine the finality of
> any
> > ICANN Board policy.
>
> It's hard to see how the ITU could force itself on ICANN.

Agreed,  the quote i saw is:

"Consideration should be given to the expediency of having the functions of
GAC carried out by a specially-constituted group within ITU with the
authority to veto decisions adopted by the ICANN Board of Directors. If it
is so decided, the ITU Secretary-General should be instructed to consult
ICANN on the matter."

Considering that they told the ICANN CEO that he wasn't welcome at their
Plenipot meeting, etc., I think any such "consultation" would be brief and
negative (as in "sod off") from ICANN.

--
Cheers,

McTim