[At-Large] Global Digital Compact: Zero Draft Released

Amrita Choudhury amritachoudhury at ccaoi.in
Wed Apr 3 13:48:03 UTC 2024

Hi Joanna,

Thanks for sharing it here.

While there are some good aspects in the Zero draft, there are concerning
ones too.

Sharing some examples:

Limiting the Role of IGF and  multistakeholder cooperation only to
the"   governance, content, and technical layers" and trying to create
the High-Level Review of the Global Digital Compact, rather than used
existing mechanism such as IGF, CSTD and UN mechanisms as proposed by many.

The role of Multistakeholders  in the test is limited to  " ...cooperation
will involve all stakeholders, according to their respective mandates,
functions and competencies""  Such a text at  times can be used to sideline
stakeholders especially Civil Society. Ref Para 7(i)) rather
multistakeholders should be involved in each step of decision making,
implementation and review.

The draft suggests creating many new structures such as the creation of a
new panel on AI (49 (a));  convening  an intergovernmental multistakeholder
process to develop and agree the above definitions and standards  (38(b));
setting up the “High-Level Review of the Global Digital Compact” for
reviewing the GDC process (65); “ establish a dedicated o8ice for
coordinating digital and emerging technology: (Para 61).

Rather than  creating new structures, the existing UN mechanisms should be
utilized to support in  monitoring the implementation and review progress
of the GDC.  One option that was suggested by many was using the United
Nations Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD), the UN
Internet Governance Forum (IGF), (upgrading it) along with other UN
agencies to be tasked  to collaboratively develop a proposal for specific
modalities that link GDC follow up and implementation with post WSIS+20
follow up implementation and the 2030 agenda.

In fact it is feared the introduction of High Level Review of the GDC is a
way to bring back the proposal on creating the DCF

Additionally there are concerns of not giving adequate reference to WSIS
and its impact,  role of ITU or community led initiatives to connect people
etc.

Regards,

Amrita