[At-Large] DomainIncite : Is this why WhatsApp hates some TLDs but not others?

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 19:37:07 UTC 2023

Although I served as a member, I am not speaking for the CCT Review Team.
So what was my thinking in supporting these recommendations?

ICANN committed to engender competition, consumer choice and consumer trust
in the DNS; check the AOC. The review team was chartered to see how well
competition, choice, and trust are holding up and what to do if threats to
conservation are uncovered.

We are clear the product of the concession is complicit in doing harm to
end users.  Defrauded end users lose trust. Abnormal extraction of value
from end users causes them to think there is a breakdown in the security
of the DNS.  Taken together, this development devalues competition
objectives, undermines consumer trust and suppresses consumer choice.

Mitigating systemic harms require systemic action. How we address harm at
source when the harm, on its face, is an extension of an ordinary business
process?  Some of us thought a product liability framework may not be the
right approach but certainly elements of that thinking could be useful for
mitigation.

We could avoid capricious compliance action, systematically privilege
registrants who rent for non-fraudulent use and incentivize contracted
parties to go beyond current commercial practice to winnon out
registrant fraudsters.

The CCT outlined a very modest framework proposal. Rejected. Let's see a
better mousetrap then.

Carlton

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*