[At-Large] DomainIncite : Is this why WhatsApp hates some TLDs but not others?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Sep 17 19:35:09 UTC 2023

Thanks for the concrete numbers.  As you mentioned, ICANN is often
reactive.  My point is orthogonal - that the decision making in ICANN
minimizes the public voice while elevating the voice of selected others
and that as a result ICANN's policies tend to favor the latter and
impose large costs upon the former.

But I have some disagreement with one thing you said:

On 9/17/23 11:34 AM, John McCormac via At-Large wrote:
> ... DNS Abuse (phishing, spam and malware) and Content Abuse
> (intellectual property and trademark infringement etc) ...

I consider these things (phishing, spam and malware) and Content Abuse
(intellectual property and trademark infringement etc) to be ill
practices that ought to be suppressed.

However, I do not believe these should be classified as "DNS Abuse".

Yes, DNS is involved.  But it is involved in the same way that a Toyota
car might be involved in a bank robbery.  (I've often joked that the way
to stop middle eastern terrorist groups is to stop the production of
small Toyota pickups.)

The point is to focus on the ill act itself, not the instrumentality.

So rather than focusing on "DNS Abuse (phishing, spam and malware) and
Content Abuse (intellectual property and trademark infringement etc)" we
ought to focus on the harmful aspects - fraud, misrepresentation,
violation of copyright or trademark - rather than on a gear tooth (DNS)
in one kind of machinery though which these harmful acts are committed.

(By-the-way, I am somewhat hypocritical in this as I do support
constraints on firearms because they are so often instrumentalities used
in crimes or personal injury torts.)

         --karl--