[At-Large] DomainIncite : Is this why WhatsApp hates some TLDs but not others?

Antony Van Couvering avc at avc.vc
Sun Sep 17 19:18:06 UTC 2023

> Domain Tasting stopped domain names that would have naturally gone through the deletion process becoming available for reregistration. That created an artificial demand for new gTLDs and drove a lot of the enthusiasm for the new gTLD round of 2012.

John,

While I agree with the rest of your excellent post, the idea that domain tasting was in any way responsible for the demand for new gTLDs is speculative at best and doesn’t at all accord with my own (extremely close) experience of the introduction of new gTLDs.

If you are saying that consumers were frustrated with the (lack of) choice in the .com space, and that (therefore?) consumers were pushing for new gTLDs, I couldn’t agree less. Consumers at the time had no idea about new gTLDs; my bet, and those of other business people at the time, was that upon the introduction of new gTLDs, consumers would wake up to the idea of choice once it was presented to them. Consumers didn’t have much idea of choice outside of local ccTLDs before the new gTLDs were introduced, and so they couldn’t have driven demand for new gTLDs.

Quite the contrary — we bet on consumers being interested in new gTLDs *despite* there being no direct evidence that they were. I often used the quote from Henry Ford — “If I asked my customers what they wanted, they’d all say they wanted a faster horse” — as an illustration of how we approached this possible new market.

Domain tasting could not have created an artificial (or any) demand for new gTLDs, because no-one outside of ICANN even knew about new gTLDs prior to their introduction.  The long fight to get them introduced was ignored by the press, including the tech press, and if you recall correctly, ICANN ran exactly one advertisement to promote them.  As I said at the time: “One World, One Internet, One Ad.”

Of those that did know about new gTLDs, many, including ALAC, worked to quash them.  The only ones promoting them were the new registries, and we were having to spend all of our time and money trying to win over the supposed champions of choice and competition.

So no, there was no consumer demand for new gTLDs prior to their introduction, whether artificial or otherwise, and certainly none created by domain tasting.

Maybe you have evidence that shows I’m wrong; I’d love to see it.

Antony