[At-Large] DomainIncite : Is this why WhatsApp hates some TLDs but not others?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Sep 17 01:14:36 UTC 2023

If a registry/registrar combination wants to make refunds after a few
days, that's their business.  It's a stupid thing for them to allow
without a "restocking charge", but that's their choice.

Sure, ICANN can be the policeman of the world.  But should it be?  And
should it be when it effectively captured by those it would police and
keeps those who are affected at arms length and powerless.

I have a rather long personal list of things I don't like:  I don't like
churches that spew hate, I don't like those who would ban books, I don't
like those who throw out science and spread disease to everyone else.
Sure, let's have ICANN regulate domain names that back those things.
And, let's be fair: let's add your list of ill-favored practices.

Pretty soon we will have an Internet that makes Singapore and its
restrictions (like chewing gum) look like a Libertarian paradise.

I was mistaken when I said that ICANN would be a mere policeman - it
would be far more, it would be complainant, policeman, judge, jury, and
executioner all in one convenient place.

On that model our power utilities could cut one off if we watched the
wrong  shows or ate the wrong foods.

There's no limit.

That's why we have governments that are (in theory) bound by strict
Constitutions and subject to in depth due process procedures.

ICANN is not a government, it has none of those protections.

Yet there are many among us who seem to want that and to want that in a
way in which we - the community of internet users - end up paying vastly
inflated prices.

     --karl--