[At-Large] DomainIncite : Is this why WhatsApp hates some TLDs but not others?

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 17:58:05 UTC 2023

If you missed it, after a year in pending status, the ICANN Board just
voted to reject Recs 14 & 15 from the CCT Review.  These were offered for
mitigating systemic DNS *security* abuse.

#14 recommends amendments offering incentives - inclusive of financial ones
- in the [RA/RAA] Agreements for the contracted parties adopting proactive
anti-abuse measures. Nothing too heretical.

#15 recommends amendments to [RA/RAA] Agreements that establish thresholds
of abuse at which compliance inquiries are automatically triggered and a
higher one at which registrars and registries are presumed to be in default
of their agreements.

We went on to recommend a community-developed DNS Abuse Dispute Resolution
Policy (DADRP) if ICANN Compliance falls asleep on the enforcement job.
[The text delicately eased into that like only "...*i**f the community
determines that ICANN org itself is ill-suited or unable to enforce such
provisions.*"]

In my own view #14 is something regulators do with concessionaires time and
again. Even the "light touch and by suasion" telecoms ones I know well in
my home region.

Our ICANN don't play that!

Carlton
*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*