[At-Large] DomainIncite : Is this why WhatsApp hates some TLDs but not others?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Sep 15 00:20:31 UTC 2023

I quite agree with you that "legitimacy" is important and can be
difficult to achieve.

I had not thought of how ICANN's perceived authority is weakened as the
world tends to de-globalize into competing fiefdoms.  I'm glad you
brought that up.  (My sense is that you have revealed to us something
that is going to be a growing issue in the coming years.)

If we start to think of other jobs the Internet needs then there is
value in looking at what ICANN got right and what it got wrong.  (Among
those potential jobs are some that are quite touchy and sensitive, such
as identification/authentication tokens, and some that will irritate
those who think in terms of trade secrets, such as getting better
handles on sources of damaging traffic.)

I've usually thought that any body - whether it be ICANN or the Red
Cross or whatever - achieves legitimacy as sort of an additive process
performed both by national governments (usually by treaty or something
similar) and by the body itself through doing its job well for a long time.

ICANN has definitely done some things well for a quarter of a century -
but often in the realm of taking credit for the work of root server
operators.  ICANN's imposition of business models and its heavy cost
burden on consumers (by my estimate this cost is in the $billions) is
not something that has been done well.  (ICANN [perhaps under the guise
of IANA] also did valuable, yeoman work, in conjunction with the IETF,
with regard to multi-lingualization and DNSSEC.)

Then there is the 25 year old fact that ICANN was designed (if not
intentionally than naively) to be captured by those who it purports to
regulate and has since become a pliable vehicle for the trademark branch
of my tribe, Intellectual Property attorneys.  These things do not
contribute to the weight of legitimacy as measured by others not so well
situated, such as the community of Internet users.

As anyone who knows me knows, I'm a strong believer that our
institutions ought to have clear and reasonably direct lines of
accountability to the living, breathing people who populate our planet.
Add to that that I reject the injection of bookkeeping conveniences (we
call them "corporations") into those lines of accountability because
they create means for multiplying of the influence of some, block the
influence of others, and create opacity rather than transparency of the
strings of accountability.

As such I have believed that ICANN ought to be under the sole control of
the public.  And, further, that a wise exercise of that public role
ought to be to view those we call "stakeholders" entirely through the
lens of the individual people who hold those interests and thus
represent those interests merely as members of the public, rather than
through some elevated, privileged, ordained role as "stakeholder".  (Of
course, any wise member of the public ought to recognize that those we
today call "stakeholders" often have expertise and views we ought to
hear and consider.)

I've held myself apart from the ALAC system.  Not because I reject its
value.  But rather that I reject the Procrustean form that was forced
upon it.  To my mind it was designed to be of weak voice with weaker
influence.

In balance, after 25 years, the name "ICANN" tends to elicit more groans
than lauds.  That's not a path that leads to a solid, enduring
foundation of legitimacy.

         --karl--