[At-Large] DomainIncite : Is this why WhatsApp hates some TLDs but not others?

John Laprise jlaprise at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 14:26:02 UTC 2023

"My premise is that since ALAC's power to actually effect change within
ICANN is so weak, that it may find its resources better spent on having
end-users that are better informed about the ICANN issues that affect them.
ALAC has the unique opportunity to speak to end-users in their vernacular
from their perspective (which may not be the same as that of ICANN
corporate).

It has failed."

As a former NARALO ALAC member I disagree with the premise and the
conclusion. ALAC's power to effect change is not weak; it is subtle. It
requires a lot of one-on-one conversations with other stakeholders filled
with passion and integrity to persuade. "having end-users that are better
informed" is a fool's errand in a world where people have smart phones but
struggle for clean water and avoid government oppression. The vast majority
of end users are or would be just not that into us, even if they knew who
we are and what we do.

ALAC has not failed. It could however do better.

Best regards,
John Laprise, Ph.D.