[At-Large] DomainIncite : Is this why WhatsApp hates some TLDs but not others?

Hank Nussbacher hank at post.isoc.org.il
Wed Sep 13 06:40:39 UTC 2023

On 12/09/2023 18:17, Bill Jouris via At-Large wrote:

isoc-il encountered a very similar problem.
We implemented a new IDN ccTLD last year and planned a roll out only to
find that no browser was recognizing the new IDN ccTLD.    We had to
delay the rollout by 4 months:
https://en.isoc.org.il/il-cctld/idn

We had  discovered the issue of PSL.
We had looked at ICANN  IDN Implementation Guidelines for guidance:
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/implementation-guidelines-2012-02-25-en#
which did not indicate anything about updating the PSL.
[Incidentally, buried in ICANN is this doc:
The Public Suffix List: A Guide for TLD Administrators
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/octo-011-18may20-en.pdf]

So I contacted the UA (Universal Acceptance) -
https://www.icann.org/uasg-en and https://uasg.tech/

Among the quotes I received:
"The IDN Guidelines generally have limited focus on security/stability
related matters related to IDNs offered by the top-level domain
registries and registrars. This issue is related more to the usability
of IDNs, which is generally taken up through the UA related work"

which sort of is contradicted by - https://icannwiki.org/PSL
which states:
"The PSL is a Mozilla initiative but is community-maintained. It is
primarily used by web browser manufacturers and other domain-related
software.

This resource is crucial to the Universal Acceptance
<https://icannwiki.org/Universal_Acceptance> of TLDs
<https://icannwiki.org/TLD>."

I would say that isoc-il was disappointed by ICANN's handling of this
issue and their lack of willingness to better document this issue for
future TLD owners.

Regards,

Hank Nussbacher