[At-Large] X marks the spot - a small spot

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Jul 29 06:21:10 UTC 2023

On Fri, Jul 28, 2023 at 3:02 PM Antony Van Couvering via At-Large <
at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org> wrote:

> A counterpoint:

I agree that it’s stupidity for Twitter to become X, but I’d argue it’s not
> so stupid for a guide to LA to change from (for example) antonysguide.com
> to laguide.com. That might well be worth a few grand and even though “LA
> Guide” is pretty generic, it says on the outside what you can find on the
> inside, and that can be quite valuable for a company struggling to become
> known.  Later on they might regret it, but at least there will be a later
> on.

Counter-counterpoint:

People these days will just search their favorite engine for "LA Guide"
which will happily take them to "antonysguide.com" ... and a number of
other websites on the topic that weren't (a) first in line to get the
original domain or (b) rich enough to buy it on the resale market. In any
case, unique names will be more identifiable than a generic term,
especially for something like a guide that would be curated and reflect its
authors. Examples abound, with craigslist, timeout and tomsguide being the
ones that come to mine quickest.

Spend your money on desirable content (and maybe a little SEO) rather than
a resale domain.

- Evan