[At-Large] X marks the spot - a small spot

Antony Van Couvering avc at avc.vc
Fri Jul 28 19:02:10 UTC 2023

A counterpoint:

Fortunately or unfortunately, Mr. Musk’s insistence on destroying a $45 billion brand so popular that it is used as a verb — the holy grail — doesn’t really have much to do with branding, or domain names, in the ordinary sense.

There are different kinds of brands out there. Some have the power to project all the attributes that appeal to the brand holders and their customers — e.g., Chanel, 3M, McDonalds — and have been years and millions in the making.  Others have the unique quality of being easy to find, without much else to them. A generic word is a subpar brand from many points of view, but if people nonetheless find it because they remember it, then it functions as a brand in one important sense at least.

It’s a terrible move for Twitter, IMO, but getting a short and memorable generic domain name (or letter) may not a bad business move for a small business, especially a startup, if the price is right. Their other choice is to find some name they want to brand and do all the work and spend all the money to get it recognized — something that a small business has neither the money, or time, to do. It may not have the long-term value of a “real” brand, but some businesses don’t have, (or don’t think they have) the luxury of thinking long term.  Depending on how and where they meet their customers, building a brand in the traditional sense might not be the smart move, while having a domain name that’s easy to remember and reproduce might pay off.

I agree that it’s stupidity for Twitter to become X, but I’d argue it’s not so stupid for a guide to LA to change from (for example) antonysguide.com to laguide.com. That might well be worth a few grand and even though “LA Guide” is pretty generic, it says on the outside what you can find on the inside, and that can be quite valuable for a company struggling to become known.  Later on they might regret it, but at least there will be a later on.

Antony