[At-Large] input to WSIS+20 comments sought

Bill Jouris b_jouris at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 12 18:11:31 UTC 2023

 Parminder, I would modify that slightly to "Ideally the state is formed by the (no doubt fictional but meaningful) social contract whereby individuals agree to give up some of their liberties for the sake of collective social living."  Unfortunately, there are numerous cases where the state was formed by whoever could bring to bear enough power to force other individuals to accept the "leaders".
As you note, this presupposes a particular form of government.  But, for the moment, not one which is anything like universal.  Therefore, what constitutes Karl's "public harm" is subject to being defined locally by a very small group which is not at all representative of the population.  Thus, as a practical matter, we should have something fairly specific as to what constitutes a public harm -- something that cannot be readily modified to mean "inconvenient to the existing government."
Bill Jouris