[At-Large] input to WSIS+20 comments sought

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Thu Mar 9 18:37:57 UTC 2023

Colleagues, I will have 3 minutes in the WSIS+20 public forum on
Wednesday to address the following question from an enduser perspective --

*How does your community explain what are the essentials to protect the
global internet and to formulate a long-term vision that works for
politicians.* *Note that WSIS+20 is a UN process which is multilateral
-- so working with political allies would be essential.

Background: WSIS2003 (World Summit on the Information Society) was an
intergovernmental conference where other groups had access and observer
status which was a step forward at the time. It established a working
group on internet governance (WGIG) which was multistakeholder and which
developed the following definition --

"Internet governance is the development and application by governments,
the private sector and civil society, in their respective roles, of
shared principles, norms, rules, decision-making procedures and
programmes that shape the evolution and use of the Internet." This led
to the establishment of the Internet Governance Forum (2006)

How would we see this definition evolving and what kinds of resources
are needed to realize that goal?

I would welcome any input.

Marita