[At-Large] Voting seat for CEO Was: Re: ICANN75: Mandatory Funded Traveler Registration for Roberto Gaetano

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 27 09:41:59 UTC 2022

Karl,

Following on your “off-topic” (I changed the subject line) I wold like to add a bit of history.

You wrote:

A lot of our BWG proposals are still quite relevant, for instance, not putting the President/CEO into a seat on the board of directors ….

When I was chairing the Board Review WG, I argued against having the CEO as a voting member rather than ex-officio observer. Besides any governance model, having to vote on issues that he would have been called to execute could put the CEO in an embarrassing position: what if he voted against, and the motion passed? This was, IMHO, not just a theoretical exercise, but something that could really happen on politically sensitive issues, like the .xxx delegation (in that case, Paul abstained, and the application was rejected by one or two votes).

My approach was considered, but the Chair argued that for the current CEO the provision was built in the contract, and could not be changed, but this would have been taken into account for the next CEO. Then I left the Board, and lost track of the later events, but it looks that the situation still remains unchanged.

Cheers,
Roberto