[At-Large] ICANN75: Mandatory Funded Traveler Registration for Roberto Gaetano

Sivasubramanian M 6.internet at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 00:16:00 UTC 2022

Karl,

"Stakeholderism grew out of the desire to be 'fair'."

Agreed it didn't conceivably take the most perfect direction that it
could have taken;  Agreed that there are imbalances, but your argument
is flawed to the extent that Democracy is balanced, that actors in a
democracy don't revisit ballot rooms with puppets on their gloves. If
in NewCo some actors have two or three votes in place of one, many
(actually many, many) "Democracies" don't have a need for glove
puppets in ballot rooms, for a great majority of eligible voters take
the places of sock puppets as if on strings.  And those elected to
represent often do not represent, but obey directives to vote for or
against any major decision that the heads of parties take.

NewCo is new. Very, very new. The powerful actors, despite how the
world might perceive them, aren't always, aren't all of them,
self-serving.  The multistakeholder process, despite all its gaps,
does not totally silence your voice. There is a definite sense of
purpose and direction combined with a remarkable degree of maturity
among many of them which actually inspires many in the process to
raise questions, hold them accountable (for more good) in a manner
that is both elevated and nuanced, which wouldn't be tolerated or even
understood in most democracies that work like how they work today in
most geographies (many, many geographies).

The way forward is to begin with the suspicion that NewCo is a good
company of many good actors and to constructively work to fix the
imbalances one after another to help the NewCo achieve what it
inherently desires. If you own domain names, trademarks, if you are
also an internet techie and own corporations, and if you have a 10x
voice, it is still fair to me, as long as your voice isn't always
about your own interests. In NewCo there is a greater propensity for
these voices, and increasingly more voices, to be in global public
interest.

Sivasubramanian M