[At-Large] info on waiver to attend ICANN74I

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 20:40:12 UTC 2022

The important thing to note is that the US is a litigious nation and it is
within ICANN's purview to create waiver forms for its events otherwise it
would not be able to host a physical event. For those who don't like it,
they can participate virtually or wear immunity suits.....lol

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 9:33 PM Roberto Gaetano via At-Large <
at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org> wrote:

> Thanks Marita.
> One sentence - among others - is particularly puzzling to me:
>
> *I knowingly and freely assume all risks related to illness and infectious
> diseases, including but not limited to COVID-19, even if arising from the
> negligence or fault of ICANN *
>
> This means to me that I acknowledge that ICANN has the right to be
> negligent. I have to confess that sometimes in the past I have thought that
> this was ICANN’s approach, but it is the first time that I see it in
> writing.
>
> I wonder whether this is a sort of friendly advice to participate online
> and avoid showing up in person in the Hague.
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto
>

> On 27.04.2022, at 22:09, Marita Moll via At-Large <
> at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org> wrote:
>
> Dear colleagues. If you are planning to attend ICANN74, please note that
> you will be required to sign a very broadly worded waiver that goes well
> beyond any issues related to the pandemic. You can read the waiver here:
> https://www.internetnews.me/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/ICANN-waiver.pdf
>
> Several registrars have asked that this requirement be dropped
> https://domainincite.com/27793-icanns-covid-19-waiver-formally-appealed.
>
> Michele Neylon, Managing Director of Blacknight Solutions, seeking legal
> advice on behalf of himself and staff, was advised that neither he nor his
> staff should sign a waiver granting ICANN blanket exclusion of liability.
> *https://blacknight.blog/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/blacknight-ICANN-April-2022-Hague-waiver.pdf*
> <https://blacknight.blog/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/blacknight-ICANN-April-2022-Hague-waiver.pdf>
> .
>
> It is an unsettling way to begin what was looking like a new beginning
> after so many hours at virtual public meetings.  I have attended more
> public meetings in my life than I could ever count, and have never been
> asked to sign such an extensive waiver.  I would be interested to know if
> others have ever encountered this.
>
> Marita Moll, ALAC rep. for NARALO

"The entrance of Your words gives light;

It gives understanding to the simple".

Psalms 119:130