[At-Large] Ukraine, .RU, and internet governance

Antony Van Couvering avc at avc.vc
Mon Mar 14 00:00:07 UTC 2022

Minor diplomacy? If only.

They won’t even issue a statement. It’s so bad that the very same governments that voted in the UN to condemn Russia’s attack won’t say anything in the GAC. Why? Apparently everyone involved in ICANN has been eaten by the false logic of self-perpetuation. As you note, the irony is that this craven evasion of responsibility will do more to show why ICANN should be scrapped or reformed or ignored than anything any of its enemies could have dreamt up.

ICANN / IANA / ISOC, with the millions handed to them annually by the users of the internet, do nothing to protect those users. They won't address the cataclysmic event happening in the world right now, except to wring their hands for a bit, offer lame regrets, then get back to important things like picking the new board members to be anointed by the undemocratic Nom-Com, or figuring out how to sell .ORG to private equity firms.

Thermobaric munitions and cluster bombs are being used today against defenseless civilians.

Meanwhile we asked to cheer ICANN and IANA for making sure that that ordinary Russians internet users can continue to play online video games and post photos of their cats without interruption.