[At-Large] Ukraine, .RU, and internet governance

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Sun Mar 13 23:44:04 UTC 2022

Isn't the core problem that there really is no real internet
governance?

It seems to me that everyone, ISOC is a good example, is just making
policy statements. It's not even clear to whom other than some general
public audience.

Technically yes, ICANN has "the passwords" to pull .ru etc from the
root servers. But do they have the authority? And if not who has the
authority?

It would seem such a decision would need to be coordinated among
several organizations such as the US State Dept, EU Foreign Affairs
Council, etc.

Otherwise it might do more harm than good. Particularly in timing vis
a vis other sanctions etc., and possible negative consequences.

Something important in all these sanctions is they have been scheduled
to increase pressure over time, not just imposed as they came to mind.

Again, under what precise circumstances would those ccTLDs be returned
to service, if ever? What are the conditions? A ceasefire? Troop
withdrawal? Ukrainian surrender? ...???

Should Russia be warned first and allowed to react? Who would do that?
By what channels?

Just because one can kick over the chessboard doesn't necessarily mean
it's a good idea.

        -Barry Shein