[At-Large] Ukraine, .RU, and internet governance

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Sun Mar 13 02:27:54 UTC 2022

This is all crazy talk.

Any serious consideration of removing the Russian ccTLDs from the
root, for example, would have to be coordinated with organizations
like the US State Dept, the EU Foreign Affairs Council, and no doubt
some others.

They are directly and indirectly involved in designing and
implementing sanctions and have access to information others can't
possibly have (Anonymous perhaps excepted.)

What if they thought implementing the request as stated was a terrible
idea for some reason that might not pop out of the keyboards here?

Like, wild guess, those internet connections are being used to surveil
various actors and entities. Or provide support to opposition?

Even if it should be done it should be coordinated through diplomatic
channels.

One might for example want to give Russia an opportunity to say "oh no
not that! Ok you win we'll withdraw from Ukraine" prior to
implementation. Or at least let them indicate what their reaction
might be (do that and we will immediately nuke Paris.)

And have it be timed based on wider strategies.

Here's a thought experiment:

Suppose you were king of the universe and could snap your fingers and
remove the Russian ccTLDs, etc.

Under what circumstances would you undo that?

You should be quite specific. A ceasefire? Total withdrawal of Russian
forces from Ukraine? Does that include Donbas, Kherson, and Crimea?

I'd agree it's interesting to poll those who are knowledgeable about
such a matter but it's not exactly like McDonald's closing their
hamburger joints. And even McDonald's CEO probably passed that by
various diplomatic etc sources before committing to it to make sure
they weren't missing something, that it might do more harm than good.

--
        -Barry Shein