[At-Large] 2019 year Russian legislation on sovereign Internet

Antony Van Couvering avc at avc.vc
Sat Mar 12 07:58:46 UTC 2022

That is an interesting approach.  I was thinking more of just routing all .RU traffic to a goatse site.

The UN doesn’t usually move fast, but they might, having voted overwhelmingly to condemn the invasion.

ICANN, on the other hand, does nothing at all.  It can’t even bring itself to say anything on the subject.  Not the CEO, not any part of it as far as I can tell. Even the Chinese government has done more by urging restraint.

So many advocates of a global internet and free and open communication stand mute in the face of the combined destruction of Russia’s internet (by Putin’s order) and Ukraine’s (also by Putin’s order).  Not to mention mass murder.

It is not the time for temporizing or half measures. A power-hungry dictator with a massive army is invades a neighboring country, wantonly murders the population, and in passing destroys the free and open internet, which ICANN is supposed to support and protect. The chances of ICANN even condemning Putin’s invasion are remote; the chances of them doing something are nil.  So shameful.

Whatever is done should be done now, immediately, before Ukraine’s cities are left in ruins. The dictator killing babies in Mariupol needs to feel enough pain to make him stop, and ICANN can help by sewing chaos on the Russian internet. At least it could try.

We have seen this movie before. To do nothing is to acquiesce.