[At-Large] Ukraine, .RU, and internet governance

Antony Van Couvering avc at avc.vc
Sat Mar 12 03:35:42 UTC 2022

The mealy-mouthed opposition to Ukraine’s request to block .RU has exercised me so much that I called up Keith Teare to complain.  Keith is a one-time candidate for ICANN CEO, a former board member of Minds + Machines, founder of Real Names and other companies, and a very smart guy with a good grasp of history and the internet.

Keith doesn’t really agree with my position, so he suggested that we record a conversation and talk it out.  To me, it turned out well (pardon my video quality.

For those who’d like to hear a thorough discussion of the issue, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZd6rtDHsA <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZd6rtDHsA>

Summary — all the reasons put forward as to why ICANN can’t do anything — we go through them all — are bullshit.