[At-Large] Opera now lets you ditch boring web links and use emojis instead

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Thu Feb 24 00:26:51 UTC 2022

I'll top-post because I'm not responding to anything specific, just
adding some points:

It's worse, much worse!

USPTO/WIPO use product categories so to some approximation it's ok
that Delta Airlines and Delta Faucets both exist.

In a phrase the guiding principle is any possibility of consumer
confusion (I KNOW IT'S MORE COMPLICATED THAN THAT!)

So one might have thought huzzah, new gTLDs, now we might have
DELTA.AIRLINES and DELTA.FAUCETS etc.

And in particular many smaller and/or newer concerns that missed out
on THEIR-MARK.COM (ORG, BIZ, etc) will get a chance and even some sort
of preferential treatment. They'd have some sort of priority in the
TLD matching their bona-fide product category! That new startup Delta
Automobiles (made that up) might have a chance at DELTA.CARS!

But no, ICANN produced just about the exact opposite by creating a
Sunrise period where for example Delta Airlines could hop in and
register DELTA.CARS by just showing that they have a TM on "Delta", in
any product category, so whenever Delta Automobiles arose tough luck!

And, to throw salt on that wound, they allowed registrars to grab
something like DELTA.CARS, declare it a "premium domain", and
immediately put it up for sale for $20K or more (or less, their
choice.)

I know because I ran into that.

I was literally 15 minutes late trying to sunrise register a domain I
only sort of deserved (it was a product category listed on a TM we had
USPTO/WIPO registered), they let me register it.

And then an hour later said sorry oops our error you were 15 minutes
late but you can buy it from us for (yes this was the number)
$20,000. And it remains for sale six years later as a "platinum"
domain, I just checked.

I don't care much but I wanted to indicate this isn't a hypothetical,
this stuff really happens, it's happened to me.

--
        -Barry Shein