[At-Large] Not my circus, not my monkeys (Was Re: ACCOUNTABILITY Restart)

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Jan 4 08:00:46 UTC 2022

I made several recommendations when I was forced off of ICANN's board of
directors in 2003.  Many, perhaps most, of them have not been undertaken
(indeed I doubt that any of the remaining directors ever bothered to
read my recommendations.  It's not that it was hard to find the
recommendations, they are in red text.)

https://www.cavebear.com/archive/icann-board/icann-evaluation-public-version.pdf

By-the-way, there is a prodigious and Draconian sword of Damocles
hanging above ICANN's directors, officers, and others (and any other
such person in a 501(c)(3) - that of "Intermediate Sanctions".  (An
added twist is that the penalties are an excise *tax* that may not be
covered by liability insurance.)

It's not clear to me whether a director or officer who is acting under a
conflict of interest and directly or indirectly benefits might be pulled
into the spinning blades of the Intermediate Sanctions juggernaut.  But
given the prodigiously heavy level of the penalties, one with a conflict
of interest - or even simply receives a benefit - had best be quite sure.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermediate_sanctions

     --karl--