[At-Large] ICANN Accountability Mechanisms

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jan 2 09:30:01 UTC 2022

On 31/12/21 12:25 am, Evan Leibovitch via At-Large wrote:
> One more thing, writ much larger...
>

>      putting aside the whole NFT question, perhaps you may want to
>     focus on the Accountability Mechanisms
>

> Maybe someone else in ALAC will take a bite of this, but not I. ICANN
> hasn't had any real public accountability in decades, dating back to
> when direct Board elections were eliminated.
>
> The "Empowered Community" is a pure exercise in Orwellian doublespeak;
> under current frameworks the inmates are in full control of the
> asylum. So if the current "bad" activities indicate a gap in such
> self-accountability, those of us outside the bubble can be forgiven
> for shedding no tears.
>
> ICANN is publicly unaccountable by design, and the domain industry of
> which you're a part is an architect of that design. So don't come
> pleading for help just because that unaccountability now works against
> *you*, in much the same way as it has worked against the public
> interest as long as most here can recall.

Kudos, Evan. Nicely said. This is just the simple truth .. If you
participate in skullduggery you cant later come complaining about it.

Meanwhile, Evan, since I like to look forward, that also makes me ask
you -- what would be your conception of a publicly accountable ICANN..
No, i dont need the full architecture... Just what was missing and what
should be, at a larger framework level . But it is fine if you havent
thought about it yet in that way.. . thanks, parminder