[At-Large] ICANN Accountability Mechanisms

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Dec 30 18:16:24 UTC 2021

On 12/30/21 10:01 AM, Hank Nussbacher via At-Large wrote:
> 3. ... based on my experience with ICANN processes, a 4 month delay is
> a mere second in ICANN time. I would start complaining only after 4
> years.

An apt summary of the speed of ICANN procedures may be found in the
works of Charles Dickens, most particularly Chapter 10 of /Little
Dorrit/: "Containing the whole Science of Government"  (See
https://www.cavebear.com/archive/cavebear/containing_the_whole_science_of_government.html
)

Here are the first two paragraphs:

> The Circumlocution Office was (as everybody knows without being told)
> the most important Department under Government.  No public business of
> any kind could possibly be done at any time without the acquiescence
> of the Circumlocution Office.  Its finger was in the largest public
> pie, and in the smallest public tart.  It was equally impossible to do
> the plainest right and to undo the plainest wrong without the express
> authority of the Circumlocution Office.  If another Gunpowder Plot had
> been discovered half an hour before the lighting of the match, nobody
> would have been justified in saving the parliament until there had
> been half a score of boards, half a bushel of minutes, several sacks
> of official memoranda, and a family-vault full of ungrammatical
> correspondence, on the part of the Circumlocution Office.
>
> This glorious establishment had been early in the field, when the one
> sublime principle involving the difficult art of governing a country,
> was first distinctly revealed to statesmen.  It had been foremost to
> study that bright revelation and to carry its shining influence
> through the whole of the official proceedings. Whatever was required
> to be done, the Circumlocution Office was beforehand with all the
> public departments in the art of perceiving--HOW NOT TO DO IT.

     --karl--