[At-Large] Fwd: [Governance] Fwd: Calling for ISOC to not associate with the nomination process for IGF Leadership Panel

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Dec 1 03:22:35 UTC 2021

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Governance] Fwd: Calling for ISOC to not associate with
the nomination process for IGF Leadership Panel
Date: 	Tue, 30 Nov 2021 10:37:05 -0500
From: 	Andrew Sullivan via Governance <governance at lists.igcaucus.org>
To: 	governance at lists.igcaucus.org

Dear colleagues,

here because, since his note was effectively an open letter, I think it
requires an open reply:

Dear Parminder,

Thanks for your note. I had already seen the letter you and Milton sent
to the UN Secretary General, but I appreciate you bringing it to my
attention specifically.

You are quite correct that the Internet Society previously opposed a
proposal to create a panel like the one that has been announced, and
that we oppose this Leadership Panel. The Internet Society will not, as
the Internet Society, nominate anyone to the panel. In addition, no
staff members shall participate in the panel. There is a semi-formal
group called the Internet Technical Collaboration Group, which has
George Sadowsky (in his personal capacity) as its chair, and for which
we provide minimal secretariat services. It is possible that group will
nominate someone, but it will not be a nomination from the Internet
Society as such.

Given the clear expressions made during the public comment and the UN
decision to proceed anyway, I am sad to say I think it is a waste of
time to appeal to the Secretary General again, so I will not be writing.
It seems to me we have to accommodate ourselves to this change in the
nature of the Internet Governance Forum. That does not mean supporting
or nominating potential members. We will of course monitor the group's
activity, especially if it seems likely to threaten the Internet.

Some would argue that it would be better to try to join this panel and
influence it from the inside. My view is that such participation would
convey a kind of legitimacy to the Leadership Panel that I do not
believe it can have. Let me explain.

When the Internet emerged as a large-scale social phenomenon in the
1990s, there was a great deal of contention about who would be in
charge. This is to be expected with a large, transformative technology.
Moreover, the early history of the Internet may have tended to encourage
the idea of someone being "in charge", since of course the earliest
Internet sites were all under the supervision of the US DoD.

Over time, however, everyone seemed to come to realize that, in a
network of networks, it is not really possible to establish who is in
charge: since there is no centre, there is no centre of control.
Instead, we had to work out always-contingent consensus approaches,
using forums like the IGF to identify issues and figure out who might be
able to address them. This, of course, is a parallel to the fundamental
operational realities of the Internet's design. And it tended, I think,
to be reinforced by the nature of the burgeoning Internet: there were
just so many players that ruling by authority would be impractical.

Something has become gradually more apparent, however: with
consolidation and concentration on the Internet, it becomes logistically
realistic to get "the important players" into a room. Realistically,
when the number of firms with overwhelming traffic dominance on the
Internet falls to perhaps 20 or fewer, it is tempting to squeeze those
firms and just treat everything else as mostly unimportant noise. And
this is, of course, a pattern that is discernable in various acts both
by governments, and by very large firms who are clamoring for
regulation. Industrial history teaches us that, when a large incumbent
insists it needs regulation, it is unlikely to be an effort to ensure
the market is open to new players.

So, those of us who believe in the open, globally-connected, secure, and
trustworthy Internet are now engaged in the fight of our lives. Our
vision of the Internet is being supplanted, really, by a giant
corporatist enclosure movement. It aims to turn the Internet into a
well-controlled, sanitized utility, operated overwhelmingly by a few
large, trustworthy organizations at the behest of this or that
government. Probably such a utility would have different properties in
different places and would interoperate in the more-awkward, more
geopolitically-oriented manner of the old telephone system than like the
Internet we are used to. It would likely not be the infrastructure of
empowered edges that we have known in the opening stages of the
Internet. It wouldn't, really, be an internet at all, even though people
will probably still call it "internet". I do not believe we are too late
to stop this from coming true, but we are definitely at a late hour.

Under these circumstances, I think it would be dangerous to participate
in—or support in any way—a Leadership Panel that is practically
tailor-made for Internet-enclosure thinking. As designed, it is a group
of Important People, where the selection criteria are opaque and the
remit is vague. It will inevitably be under pressure to support Internet
enclosure, and given the political sensitivity of many of the panelists'
"day jobs" the panel as a whole will almost certainly have to bow to
that pressure. This will be true, in my opinion, no matter how worthy
and independent-minded I think are many of the nominees I have heard
suggested. The institutional design is fundamentally wrong, and I cannot
support it.

I have a number of thoughts about how the IGF could more effectively
pursue the useful job it has. I have shared those previously with people
who I thought might be in a position to try to undertake some of it, and
I won't reproduce it here, except to note ruefully that I was apparently
not convincing enough.

Best regards,

Andrew

--