[At-Large] [Governance] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Fwd: [WG-Strategy] Seeking roll back of the IGF Leadership Panel

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Nov 26 07:59:12 UTC 2021

On 26/11/21 1:03 pm, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> The one thing I am opposed to is setting some sort of qualification
> bar that is based on an individuals rank or status in an organisation
> rather than their knowledge, network of contacts across other policy
> and technical groups, and contributions.  Beyond that I agree with
> Wolfgang.

UN SG who makes the selection is very clear, this is a CEOs level Panel
.. it is part of the application criteria .. The Leadership Panel will
consist of CEOs -- that makes it absolute inappropriate for a post
office and messaging role..

*That fact alone counts for the present purpose of either agreeing with
or criticizing and opposing the IGF Leadership Panel.*

Other views, ideas, etc about the IGF, its success, failure, etc are
largely irrelevant to the issue at hand -- and a pressing and very
serious one. They serve to confuse the matter which actually needs
discussion, and forming a collective view on.

APC, ISOC, etc signed a letter earlier which makes clear that they would
NOT want the kind of Panel that has now been set up.

There is an email on the ISOC list that says UK ISOC was against any
such panel.

I have got numerous emails, from both top level people in the civil
society and tech community, who are all dismayed at the new Leadership
Panel.

But why no one stands up and opposes it openly and clearly .. What is
behind this collective failure?

Bec we have ended up with an IG civil society, and tech community, which
is wedded to protecting the status quo and not rocking the boat and
standing up ... That is the exact opposite of what civil society is
meant to do -- which is to 'speak to power'.

Lets discuss what brought things to such a pass.

And also perhaps what role MS ism and IGF has to play in fostering a
civil society whose leaders are more interested in retaining favour of
other powerful people in other sectors, than being responsible to their
constituencies, and raising their issues, and bringing in their voices
... If they were still doing what they are needed to, the civil society
members, leaders and groups would be discussing and writing letters
opposing the Leadership Panel, In my estimate, 80-90 percent of civil
society and also technical community actually oppose any CEO kind of IGF
Leadership Panel foisted over the IGF.

But why no one is discussing this and making their views and opposition
open. Is it because they want to protect their own positions and
embedding in the power structures? what else, one wonder?

parminder