[At-Large] Seeking roll back of the IGF Leadership Panel

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 25 11:05:23 UTC 2021

Dear all,

I am by and large in agreement with Evan.

The IGF situation reminds me of a case study during my MBA, that can be titled: “Changing or persevering?” and that I can summarise below.

If a chosen strategy does not give the expected results, there are two possibilities: one is to rethink the matter and come up with a different approach, the other one is to pour more resources in support of the current approach. There are pros and cons to either way, and in theory it has much to do with the assessment of the chances that the current approach is the correct one. In practice, however, it has much to do with the stubbornness of the leaders and the resistance to change - in summary, the inability to recognise failure.

However, the letter that originates this thread seems to suggest a third way, that is to stay as we are because all is good - which is something on which I fully disagree.

I am in favour of looking for other ways to progress. I am not an insider of the IGF, and participate if and when I can, so I do not have the expertise to provide an educated guess on whether the UNSG’s proposal is the good one, but I would nevertheless state what I consider the condition “sine-qua-non” the new approach can work: to make the leadership team fully representative of the multi-stakeholder model, in particular removing the obstacles that prevent the model to be “global” and “equal”. In short, avoid that this LT is tilted towards specific stakeholder groups. Provided that this can be avoided, I believe that it is worth trying this new approach - that I understand will not substitute but complement the basic work carried on by the rank and file in the current IGF, in particular in the local and regional environments, where wider participation is possible.
 Cheers,
Roberto