[At-Large] ICANN Funding Request FY22-05

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu May 13 17:39:39 UTC 2021

Hi, Marita

On Thu, 13 May 2021 at 13:00, Marita Moll via At-Large <
at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org> wrote:

> I agree, Evan, that most people do not want to be involved in governance
> -- but I think they would support the notion that there was a group
> representing their interests at the governance table, that it was not just
> commercial interests sitting at the table. The extent to which that is
> important to the end user might be an interesting question.

I agree with you that most people support the idea of having their
interests represented in governance, but that is exactly why we're doing
the poll in the first place. ALAC already exists, so I'm not sure of the
value in asking if it's needed.

I'm all for a public education campaign that dispenses with the "get
involved" message and instead  provides a better way for ALAC to get public
feedback from those who have an opinion but not the ability to participate
deeper. Just like ALAC has to respond to calls for comment, perhaps it
should issue a few of its own -- but that won't work without significant
promotion of the call beyond the usual circles, and the non-trivial task of
translating ICANN lingo and concepts into lay language.

- Evan